The saga of the shift knob
|I tried removing the 15 degree built-in slant:|
|With this, and some additional bending, I think we're close.|
|Second gear, plenty of clearance|
Fifth gear, also plenty.|
Bent the handle a little bit back towards me as well.
|Bought a cheap shifter boot off Amazon and adapted it:|
|Before buttoning it all up, connected the USB port in the console to the radio|
|As previously mentioned: I need to get these ports (Sanden SD7)|
|adapted to these ports (2000 Trans Am).|
Vintage Air told me that my only real option was to return to stock GM or use their complete kit.
Neither option were acceptable.
|Challenge one: Nobody (that I could find) makes the adapters to connect standard hoses to this.|
|I'd thought to just use AN hoses but the internet says the freon will permeate the shell and leak out.|
|I do have the old lines, I can use those. I'd thought to weld on the correct ends, except that my welds would be horrible and probably leak.|
|I'd come up with a plan where I would modify a GM drier, but I'd have to do that every time I replaced it.|
|An epiphany occurred: I can't use AN *hoses* but I can use AN *fittings*, they're not permeable|
|I bought the Vintage Air drier kit that comes with a drier and a bunch of beadlock hose ends (and I bought a crimper)|
Let's modify the existing lines! This holds the trinary switch and
the orifice tube, I need both of those. Cut after the switch
The line here is .375" - 6-AN size.
|Flared it, and now it's a 6-AN port.|
The #8 hose from the coil needs to go to a #6 AC port for the drier.
There are more places than I'd like in this process where I need to adapt
sizes - the AN fitting at the trinary switch won't actually be used there;
that'd be the #10 hose from the compressor that goes there. The
8AN->6AN adapter threaded in will actually go on the beadlock fitting on the
That hose is the old hose from the original drier.
|I don't really like the way the straight fittings fit on the condensor,
I'll have to use angled and figure out how I want to run them. |
More importantly here - my condensor is upside down. The small port should be on the bottom, says the internet.
Here as well, the port on the condensor is a #8 and I'll have to neck it down to a #6 before it gets to the drier.
|Angled fittings fit better but it's still upside down.|
|Removed, before swapping brackets around. This was more for my reference than for yours. As previously mounted, the top pass side corner is bottom left (old front edge is down)|
|With the mounts swapped around|
|Repainted the hood latch while I was at it. It got stuff on it.|
|Notched where the ball needs to be based on the length of the stock wiper arm|
|Ready to run a low-quality bead.|
|Needed to clean up the edges so it didn't hit the inside of the cowl.|
|Mounted (inside view). This is the parked location.|
|Mounted (outside view)|
They work (action shot). I did not put a stop for the park mechanism
in there, it already goes back to the correct place.|
So far as I know, wipers are done.
|With the wipers done, I could put the hood back on.|
|The Chevelle has been uncovered and is (im)patiently waiting its turn in the garage.|
I had to replace the batteries in everything this month.|
The battery in the Camino was a low-end Walmart battery that I had very little faith in, so when the gate across the driveway needed a new battery, I offered that one up.
Then the battery in the Vette went bad. I had no expectations, so went ahead and bought an Optima to replace it... then I saw the "30 month free replacement guarantee" and the datecode of 27 months ago. I had low expectations of Interstate's warranty - especially after the local Firestone wanted to see a receipt before they'd even entertain the idea.. but I ended up at one of their Battery Centers and they did a quick check and just handed me a new battery, with the full 30 month warranty on it.
It's top post and not side threaded like the old one but I think this is probably more appropriate for the car anyway.
Go back to the previous day (22 May 2023)