Apparently I was okay with going three months without an update. Many things were done.
|Issue 1: Assembled the motor, pulled the fuel pump relay and spun the
motor to get a pre-lube on it.. no oil pressure.|
(this whole oil pressure saga can be read on Pro-Touring if you like)
Assuming I did something wrong here. Also - a hearty "f. u." to the
folks at Holley who decided allen-head cap screws were the right thing to
attach their pickup to the pump - you Can Not get these out with the pan in
Initial assumption is that I pinched or forgot the o-ring here, so needed to disconnect the pickup.
|If you unbolt the motor mounts and lift with the hoist, you can get the pan off. Or at least I could; your mounts and crossmember will probably be in different places than mine.|
Pickup was fine. Verified that there's no trash clogging the mesh on
the other end of the pickup, nope.|
Bolted it back together, still no pressure.
Poured a cup or so of oil directly into the driver's side gallery to prime the pump, still no pressure.
|Swapped from the Escalade pump back to my pump that had been on the LS1, still no pressure.|
Suggestion came in: Raise the back of the car as high as possible and
overfill the oil.|
Bam. We have pressure.
|I started with the whole vacuum leak thing, and waggled an unlit propane
torch around everyting while idling, looking for something to change.
An initial capture with EFILive (because that's what I have) showed the IAC gradually moving to zero.
Here at 310 and I'm idling at about 814.
|278, about 15 seconds later. RPM is up to 1500|
|IAC goes to zero, RPM goes up to 2200.|
doesn't get better; RPM now up to 2486.|
I could hear a sucking sound as the IAC closed and the RPM went up. Don't know what that was about.
Did notice something odd though: my MAP was consistently 1.5PSI through this (and also if I turned the car off). Let's troubleshoot that.
|Well, certainly looks like I didn't forget to put the MAP sensor in.|
Step 1: Throw money at it (bought a new sensor). No change.
|Verify the wires. Access is very limited. 12v is 12v and ground is ground, no issues there.|
|The signal wire, however, shows an open.|
Oh. That would explain it. |
Replaced the connector.
|Well, MAP values are more realistic now, at least.
I'm still at 2129 RPM and IAC at zero, but MAP is right.|
So next up is to validate the wires going to the IAC (sorry, you get no pics here).
Verified the four grounds for the ECU.
On the IAC: Pins 77, 78, and 79 to three of the four IAC pins showed between 0.7 and 0.9 ohms. Pin 76 (IAC Coil B High) didn't even have a wire in it.
Found that missing wire in pin 76, and now everything idles correctly. The sucking sound is gone too.
Still running rich though.
|There's not much left to do. Interior is next up, because almost
everything remaining is there.|
Mounted the trim bit above the glovebox.
|Mounted door panels.|
|Mounted the dash pad. You can see the holes for the light sensor
and the LED - I'd broken the LED trying to get it to fit (the paint closed
the hole up a little).|
I had to resolder the LED to the carrier to get it to work again, and also open up the hole a little.
|I'd bought shoulder belts years ago when Pep Boys stopped selling parts and put everything on clearance. Wasn't sure how I was going to mount them, I ended up taking some 3/16" plate and drilling/tapping for the bolt, and popriveting it in behind this bulge. The bulge is for the factory shoulder harness so should be beefy enough.|
|Headliner material goes on the sailpanels.|
|A bit of work on the wiring, trying to get it straight. It's still a mess.|
|Replaced the LEDs in the dash with some that are made for cars - they've
got arrows and check-engine lights and highbeam indicators and the like.|
Looks like my dash ground and the BCM ground are not the same ground though; the turn indicators are glowing.
|Speedometer shows zero miles (which is accurate)|
Time to move on to the headliner. Gulp.|
Rods installed into the sleeves. Harder than expected.
|I probably should have worked a little longer at stretching the headliner. Hopefully the wrinkles will work themselves out.|
Visors, rear-view, pinchweld trim installed.|
Not pictured: I painted the pinchweld trim.
Visors are new.
|Starting to look like an interior.|
|This will do.|
|Dash is assembled, except for the AC controls (which I have to do in
It's going to be very crowded in there.
Go back to the previous day (23 Aug 2022)